DataProt is supported by its audience. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a commission. This, however, does not influence the evaluations in our reviews. Learn More.
E-commerce has been gaining popularity over the years. Statistics show that the e-Commerce market is expected to amount to $8.1 trillion by 2026.
If you’re in the e-commerce world, you’ve heard of WooCommerce, an open-source plugin that runs on WordPress. Being open-source allows the software to be flexible and freely available for users to access, modify and distribute its code.
WooCommerce is popular for its extensive features that enable businesses of all sizes to create, publish content, and manage their online stores. Several websites use WooCommerce today, and that number is steadily growing. Currently, the United States has the highest usage, with over 2 million websites using the plugin.
This article delves more into WooCommerce usage statistics, exploring how many stores have embraced this platform for their online ventures.
- Over 5 million installations of WooCommerce are currently live.
- WooCommerce sales reached $20 billion in 2020.
- In 2021, WooCommerce had the most downloads in a single day, around 3.9 million.
- WooCommerce covers 7% of all online sales worldwide.
- 20.3% of all WordPress websites use WooCommerce.
- As of July 2023, WooCommerce has the highest market share of 38.74%.
- There have been over 246 million downloads of the WooCommerce plugin.
- The most popular plugin across the internet is WooCommerce, with a 68% usage distribution.
- The WooCommerce plugin is used by 93.7% of all WordPress e-commerce sites.
Number of WooCommerce Stores
Since its launch in 2011, WooCommerce has witnessed a remarkable rise in popularity and usage. The number of stores has grown, with almost 3.9 million live online stores utilizing the platform to power their businesses.
Get to know the latest usage statistics of WooCommerce and see how this WordPress and businesses benefit from it.
WooCommerce Usage Stats
WooCommerce has established itself as a dominant player in the industry. Around 6 million live websites run on this platform. It also helps with the rapidly growing social media market.
The platform’s active community of developers and designers and its integration with WordPress has impacted the e-commerce market. It enhances their capabilities by developing new themes, plugins, and integrations.
This section will focus on the key statistics highlighting the market share and widespread usage of WooCommerce in the online business landscape.
1. WooCommerce has over 5 million active installations.
This remarkable figure speaks volumes about the platform’s popularity and trust among businesses of all sizes. The plugin is downloaded at least 30,000 times daily. It is a free and flexible tool supported by a large community of developers contributing to its development.
2. WooCommerce makes up 7% of all online sales worldwide.
(Envisage Digital, WordPress)
The effectiveness and reliability of this platform in facilitating successful e-commerce transactions are all thanks to its easy-to-use interface, secure payment options, ability to add unlimited products, and flexible shipping options.
Used by more than 100 countries and offering multilingual options with 67 languages available, WooCommerse also provides support in the international currency for business owners worldwide.
3. 93.7% of all WordPress e-commerce websites use the WooCommerce plugin.
With the WooCommerce plugin, your WordPress site can be transformed into a vibrant and thriving e-commerce marketplace. From managing products and inventory to processing payments and tracking orders, WooCommerce makes it an all-in-one solution for businesses to thrive in online commerce.
4. Over 1 million WooCommerce stores have recorded at least one sale.
In 2019, these stores generated an impressive gross merchandise volume (GMV) of $11.8 billion. This highlights the remarkable success and profitability of WooCommerce stores. It continues to empower entrepreneurs and enable them to tap into vast opportunities in the market.
5. WooCommerce is utilized by 20.3% of all WordPress Websites.
WordPress powers 43.1% of all websites, which is over 455 million. One of the critical factors why WooCommerce stands out is its tight integration with WordPress—delivering world-class commerce plus content and making it easy for WordPress users to transition their websites into online shops.
6. As of July 2023, WooCommerce holds a market share of 38.74%, the highest in the e-commerce platform industry.
WooCommerce now ranks 1st in market share, and Woo themes rank 2nd with 14.95%. Woo themes are also part of Automattic, the parent company of WordPress and an active developer for WooCommerce. It’s clear for all to see who is dominating e-commerce worldwide.
7. Big companies like Home Depot, UPS, Porter & York use WooCommerce.
WordPress powers many popular e-commerce websites, and they are expected to use WooCommerce. The most well-known examples are those mentioned above:
- Home Depot is the largest home improvement retailer, with sales reaching $157.4 billion in 2022.
- UPS integrates seamlessly with WooCommerce and is used by many business owners as a shipping method.
- Porter & York is one of the best WooCommerce sites that sell world-class meat, fish, and poultry.
8. The WooCommerce library offers 819 extensions for users to enhance their stores.
WooCommerce provides extensions organized into categories and develops 69 of them. These extensions cover various functions, from marketing automation, SEO optimization, enhanced payment gateways, and shipping integrations.
The extensive library enables users to customize and improve their stores according to their requirements, offering a tailored and engaging shopping experience.
9. WooCommerce Checkout is used by 23% of the top 1 million e-commerce sites.
If you’ve ordered anything on a website or app, such as food or clothing, you will likely have filled up an order form or checkout page.
WooCommerce Checkout is known for its one-page checkout, allowing customers to select a product and complete their purchase on one page. Around 3 million live websites are using this plugin.
10. WooCommerce’s highest number of daily downloads was 3.9 million in 2021.
This was not the only notable spike. Downloads reached 3.2 million in March 2022. If you look at the statistics on WordPress, daily downloads go to more than 700,000 every month. This consistent download growth reflects the ongoing demand for WooCommerce as a reliable and versatile e-commerce solution.
11. Astra, a WooCommerce theme, had over 1 million active installs on WordPress.
Astra boasts this impressive milestone as the most popular WordPress theme. More than 2 million live websites use Astra, and its deep integration with WooCommerce has contributed significantly to its popularity. This fast, lightweight, and highly customizable theme enables individuals to boost WooCommerce stores.
12. WooCommerce is the most popular plugin, with 68% usage distribution on the internet.
Even though WooCommerce is a plugin, you can still add more plugins called extensions. These extensions appeal to website owners, allowing them maximum control, functions, and features.
These features are free, easy to set up, and can solve all technical and marketing needs. Any missing features can be solved with integrations, which are third-party plugins to expand markets and grow businesses further.
13. The WooCommerce plugin has been downloaded 248+ million times.
As of May 2023, WooCommerce has been downloaded 248,456,277 times in WordPress. Businesses and shops prefer WooCommerce, its plugins, and overall features for its usability and credibility for setting businesses to action.
14. In 2020, WooCommerce sales reached $20 billion.
Matt Mullenweg, the co-founder of WordPress, stated these facts in a WooCommerce podcast. He also mentioned that sales were more than double the year before. Global e-commerce is growing yearly; by the end of 2023, the market will reach $6.3 trillion.
With more customers shopping online, businesses will see growth in their sales, and getting into e-commerce is the best way to achieve that.
15. WooCommerce is the 2nd most popular e-Commerce platform.
WooCommerce and Shopify have always been closely matched, competitors. Among all e-commerce websites, Shopify stores lead with a market share of 28% compared to WooCommerce’s 25%.
However, as the top contenders, both dominate the e-commerce landscape, with no other platforms or plugins coming close to their level of popularity and influence.
The future looks bright for WooCommerce as the e-commerce industry continues flourishing. Its popularity and trust among businesses of all sizes indicate its success. WooCommerce will empower business owners who want to embrace the online landscape. Its versatility, customization, active developer, and user community make it an excellent choice for those looking to launch an online store.
Given its proven track record and commitment to innovation, it’s no surprise that WooCommerce has become the go-to platform for e-commerce enthusiasts worldwide. So, whether you’re a small shop or a big enterprise, WooCommerce has the tools and resources to help you succeed.